email blasts, novelists, multidimensional aliens, resilient arrogance, psychotherapy and the American war psyche, among other Key West seaside attractions

devil on vacation

Depress ctrl and + keys together to increase text size; depress ctrl and – keys together to reduce

Christine Russell

Amiga Christine Russell wrote yesterday:

Hey Sloan –

How are you? I worry when I don’t see your blog in my email. Your blog is often how I keep up with what’s happening in KW. I hope you are doing well and things are also good with Kari.

Christine

I replied:

Hi, Christine – Thanks for asking. Been using sloanbashinsky@yahoo.com to send out the daily email blasts, due to Outlook stopping me, it seems, from using sloanbashinsky@outlook.com for sending out daily email blasts. If Yahoo stops me, too, I probably won’t try to get around that by opening yet another email account. I publish daily at www.goodmorningkeywest.com, usually up by noon. Go there, if you don’t get something by then, see what got cooked up. Today’s Key West’s Good Morning Vietnam knockoff website is a fucking doozie, because yesterday was shit city-squared. It’s up now. Hope you are okay. Sloan
P.S. I should have suggested you look in your junk mail, perhaps my email blasts from sloanbashinsky@yahoo.com ended up there.

Jerry Weinstock, M.D., Psychiatry, retired (sometimes), wrote:

psychiatrist interviews

you are having a spectrum of experiences——and seem to have expertise in just about everything;

more than enough for a novel –maybe it might hit big time.

maybe the angels can yield spectacular Karma—–best of luck–Jerry

I replied:

The angels provide the experiences, I try to keep up. The angels provide me with multi-dimensional faculties and perspectives, because the human experiences all have multi-dimensional facets. The angels are experts, real experts, I embarrass them ongoing, but they are stuck with me, it seems, because they don’t have much of a pool of fools from which to pick, who are not hung up on rational thinking, disbelief, rigid thinking, and so forth and so on. I already wrote the novel; it was a dud. The angels need to try another approach, since fiction and telling it straight and poetry work about the same re reaching human beings: not at all. I still think the species should be moved from this planet and put somewhere it has a chance of moving forward; right now, it’s devolving, despite a few idiots moving the other way.

Jerry wrote:

Henry David Thoreau and Walt Whitman were NOT immediate successes
and I could fill the page with great authors who faced rejection;

BUT WE ARE IN A DIFFERENT WORLD—.
fundamentally dumber the populace.

technology not so good —-for the average person —-if there is such an entity.

Angels expand all your intellectual facilities—–quite incredible…! Jerry.

Jerry also also wrote to me, re his and my recent discussions about my lady Kari in the county jail on Stock Island:

after treating MORE than a hundred patients for all kinds of withdrawal;

over a period of over 40 years maybe you can give me some lessons…

I replied:

Come on, Jerry. Are you saying Kari’s physical distress – G.I. tract trauma, farting, starving for protein, so she eats lots of carbs and gains lots of weight, and her skin break outs and itching torture – are produced by her not drinking vodka since she went back into the jail last May? Of course she is still suffering withdrawal, she probably will do that for the rest of her life, as do all alcoholics and other drug addicts I have known who stopped using. No doubt, Kari’s withdrawal and addict thinking, which she learned, I imagine, when she was a kid, led to her getting herself in lock down yesterday and perhaps destroying her chances of getting out of there anytime soon. She was doing darn good, and she was frayed to hell because of the physical trauma symptoms I have repeatedly described, and she fucked up, and now who knows what will become of her? See today’s Key West’s Good Morning Vietnam knockoff website post at goodmorningkewyest.com, now up. You have no clue, Jerry, what kind of psychotherapeutic training I have had, and what all kind of people I have treated therapeutically, including psychiatrists and addiction counselors, who were not getting help despite their many efforts to get help. Only someone with great medical insurance coverage, or a lot of money, unless you did it pro bono, could afford your method of treatment, and for a very long time. Kari does not have that kind of money, nor that kind of time. Nor did you offer to help her in that way. You could have offered to visit her in the jail. You could have gone to Sheriff Ramsay about her diet. Sloan

Jerry wrote:

Overall at least 50% of my private practice was and still is PRO BONO !!

the school system enabled me to see “hundreds of children FREE” –they got a
(private foundation to underwrite me after they examined my past history and credentials) .

for your info –consultations at the hospital –paid only if insurance covered it –and
saw many patients without charge–

(however I saw many affluent celebrities –they paid me BIG)

Yes I worked an average of 15 hours a day–and we ate supper around 10:00 PM
and still do.–started my work day around 6 am—( doctor for the jail minimal $$)

You have resilient arrogance I wish I had more of that—–a 12 volume Encyclopedia
probably would not cover what you may not know and haven’t had the training and experience…
however many excellent therapists function the way you probably do—and help people
you have a good heart—–Jerry.
(and fine intellect)

I replied:

Am inclined to stop this discussion here, publish it as is.

Jerry wrote:

agreed

Jerry also wrote to me:

Yes Eisenhower was on target——–military industrial complex uses up most of the money
about 99% of available funds

I replied:

99 percent? That’s a lot higher than I had read. Do you have a chart or pie or something showing 99 percent? Here’s what I found by googling “US military spending” and opening various links, which appeared in the first of these below:

Military Spending in the United States

In fiscal year 2015, military spending is projected to account for 54 percent of all federal discretionary spending, a total of $598.5 billion. Military spending includes: all regular activities of the Department of Defense; war spendingnuclear weapons spendinginternational military assistance; and other Pentagon-related spending.
(For the difference between mandatory and discretionary spending, see Federal Budget 101).

Federal Spending: Where Does the Money Go

Federal Budget 101

In fiscal year 2015, the federal budget is $3.8 trillion. These trillions of dollars make up about 21 percent of the U.S. economy (as measured by Gross Domestic Product, or GDP). It’s also about $12,000 for every woman, man and child in the United States.

Mandatory and Discretionary Spending

The U.S. Treasury divides all federal spending into three groups: mandatory spendingdiscretionary spending and interest on debt. Mandatory and discretionary spending account for more than ninety percent of all federal spending, and pay for all of the government services and programs on which we rely. Interest on debt, which is a much smaller amount than the other two categories, is the interest the government pays on its accumulated debt, minus interest income received by the government for assets it owns. The pie chart shows federal spending in 2015 broken into these three categories.

Interest on Federal Debt Discretionary Spending Mandatory Spending FY2015 Mandatory and Discretionary Spending and Interest on Federal Debt (In 2015 Dollars).

federal spending pie

Discretionary Spending

Discretionary spending refers to the portion of the budget that is decided by Congress through the annual appropriations process each year. These spending levels are set each year by Congress.
This pie chart shows how Congress allocated $1.11 trillion in discretionary spending in fiscal year 2015.

The U.S. outpaces all other nations in military expenditures. World military spending totaled more than $1.7 trillion in 2013. The U.S. accounted for 37 percent of the total.
U.S. military expenditures are roughly the size of the next nine largest military budgets around the world, combined.

U.S. Military Spending vs. the World

U.S. military spending dwarfs the budget of the #2 country – China. For every dollar China spends on its military, the U.S. pends $3.60.

Military vs. Non-Military Spending

In the decade following Sept. 11, 2001, military spending increased 50 percent, adjusted for inflation. In comparison, spending on every other non-military program – things like education, health care, public transit, and science –grew by only 13.5 percent over the same time period.

Homeland Security Spending

Total military spending includes about $16 billion in military expenses for the Department of Homeland Security, which was established in 2002. This department also gets funds that are not designated as military spending, including funding for law enforcement, border control, and other pseudo-military expenses. Non-military Department of Homeland Security funding is expected to be an additional $43 billion in fiscal year 2015.

Jerry wrote:

I found incredible cost overruns –can’t go into that now.
MY exaggeration slightly—due to frustration—-Jerry
thanks for your analysis appreciate it.

I replied:

After sending you what I had found using Google, I thought maybe there were significant military costs, which are not visible in the publicly published reports/statistics: secret projects, black ops. Cost overruns did not occur to me, but I can’t imagine they are not huge. Maybe some, or a lot of money just went into somebody’s pocket or offshore bank account.

The Facebook thread I published yesterday on US military spending grew more legs, one participant views constant US at war as normal and necessary now, or that’s how it comes across to me.

Sloan

News Feed
Another Angry Voice's photo.

Another quote from the great Hunter S. Thompson

• 24 people like this.
  • James Tidwell You mean like LBJ did with the Vietnam war? It was Nixon that got us out of Vietnam. And Kennedy and LBJ took us into Vietnam.
  • James Tidwell Richard Nixon, also a Republican and Eisenhower’s vice president, cut the budget by 29 percent as he withdrew from Vietnam.
    Between 1987 and 1998 the defense budget fell for 11 straight years as Presidents Reagan, Bush, and Clinton—two Republicans and a Democrat—brought spending down to more sustainable levels as the Cold War wound down.

USGOVERNMENTSPENDING.COM
  • James Tidwell Aft pegging along at 20 percent share of federal spending in the late 1930s, defense spending soared to a peak share of 88 percent in 1945. After declining to about 60 percent share in the late 1940s, defense spending peaked at a 72 percent share of federal spending in 1952.
    The Cold War saw a steady decline in defense spending as a share of federal spending, down to a 52 percent share in 1969. But when the Vietnam War wound down defense share dropped rapidly, and bottomed at 28.5 percent share in 1979-80.
    In the early 1980s defense spending recovered a larger share of federal spending, reaching 32 percent in 1987. Then it declined to 20 percent share by the late 1990s.
    The War on Terror of the 2000s saw an increase in defense spending share, peaking at 24.5 percent share in 2010. Defense share of federal spending is expected to decline to 21.6 percent share in 2015 and 17.4 percent share by 2020.
  • Sloan Bashinsky Right on, James Tidwell, it was not just Republican presidents who spend heaps on American wars. Johnson spent heaps. Obama spent heaps. Democrats who put up misleading stuff like this on Facebook are like Republicans to put up doctored statistics on Facebook. But James, isn’t GNP the total of American private sector output and revenue? What percentage of US government spending went for US military, is what I wish you had provided here. Here’s Wikipedia’s definition of GNP.
  • Sloan Bashinsky From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    “GNP” redirects here. For other uses, see GNP (disambiguation).
    Gross national product (GNP) is the market value of all the products and services produced in one year by labour and property supplied by the citizens
    of a country. Unlike gross domestic product (GDP), which defines production based on the geographical location of production, GNP allocates production based on location of ownership.
    GNP does not distinguish between qualitative improvements in the state of the technical arts (e.g., increasing computer processing speeds), and quantitative increases in goods (e.g., number of computers produced), and considers both to be forms of “economic growth”.[1]
    When a country’s capital or labour resources are employed outside its borders, or when a foreign firm is operating in its territory, GDP and GNP can produce different measures of total output. In 2009 for instance, the United States estimated its GDP at $14.119 trillion, and its GNP at $14.265 trillion.[2]
  • John W. Gilmer I don’t know where you guys get the impression that Reagan reduced spending; he actually ran a huge deficit. And … of course President Obama spent money. That’s because Dubya left him with two useless wars and a crashed economy. You don’t just drop your weapons and run when you end a war. Or two.
    • John Friday Not to mention the fact that defense spending balooned under Reagan from 295 billion in 1979 to 427 billion in 1989.
    • Sloan Bashinsky Actually, John Gilmer, that’s exactly what President Nixon ended up doing with Vietnam, but does he get credit for getting America out of that rich white men’s war for profit (America wanted Vietnam’s rubber trees and other natural resources)? No. Nixon is remembered for Watergate. Obama was supposed to end both Bush wars. Richard Nixon had showed Obama how to do it.
    • Sloan Bashinsky A great deal of good could have been done in America with all the money the Republican and the Democrats wasted on American foreign wars.
  • Catherine R. Edwards Bottom line, our country has been at war for all but about 7 years of its entire history. It’s time for peace.
    Like · Reply · 1 · 18 hrs
  • James Tidwell John, your original posting talks about spending on military. And under Reagan, in his last term, the amount spent of the military went down. Now his total spending went up. Guess what, there was a Democratic Congress in place. Wonder who passed  bills of spending in the House and then the Senate. Not the President. And he did give in on some things to get some of what he wanted. So, ask yourself, again, who is responsible? both parties.
  • James Tidwell Catherine, tell that to the rest of the world. We attempted, to some degree, to stay out of wars. But, never worked and in today’s world, where travel is so quick around the world and computers being hacked to the point where they can take down our electrical infrastructure or worse, war is going to be around for a long time. It is in the very nature of humans. Just look at not just the US history, but history as a whole.
  • Sloan Bashinsky Then, is this predicament for Christians (King James version): “[Mat 5:38~42] Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have [thy] cloke also.And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.”
  • Sloan Bashinsky Maybe American Christians can use the 1st Amendment ban against government establishment of religion, separation of church and state, to set aside Jesus?
    Like · Reply ·
      • James Tidwell Sloan, I am not speaking of religion, but of human history. Human history is filled with war, battles and killing of each other. Not likely to stop anytime soon.
      • Sloan Bashinsky I understand you, James, and agree war is endemic in humanity now, perhaps the human DNA code has mutated so that war is required. I brought Jesus into it, as you know, because of all the hype from American Christians and how their view and the Bible should prevail in America. Well, if Jesus prevailed here, maybe they would find themselves a new religion, since they would not care, I don’t think, for his preachings today, either :-)

sloanbashinsky@outlook.com